1. Skip to content

Tiffield Parish Council

Serving the people of Tiffield

Local History

Tiffield

Church of St John the Baptist

The church dates from the 13th (tower) and 14th centuries, with restoration of the south side and the porch taking place in the 1870s. It is likely that there was an earlier church on the site. Further dteails of the church can be found here.

The church was Listed (Grade II) on 17 May 1960 (English Heritage Building ID 235010). Further information about the church is available on the British Listed Buildings website.

About the village

Tiffield is a small village and civil parish north of the town of Towcester in Northamptonshire.

The 2001 Census showed that there were 370 residents, 185 each male and female, living in 142 dwellings. The 2011 Census also included the nearby hamlet of Adstone, but showed that the population had decreased to 362.

The village primary school was one of the smallest in the country. It is now linked with the schools at Gayton, Stoke Bruerne and Whittlebury to form the Forest Federation. The Shires development to the south of Towcester now falls within the catchment area of the school, and these developments have enabled the school to grow. A new school hall is currently under construction.

There was an ironworks adjacent to the railway to the south of the village. It lasted from 1875 to 1902, and operated using ore from a quarry in the nearby hamlet of Hulcote. From 1908 to 1920 there was also a quarry closer to the village. It was in the remains of this quarry that the TV prtogramme "Kickstart" was filmed in the 1980s.

Tiffield had a short-lived experimental railway station situated at the highest point of the Stratford upon Avon and Midland Junction Railway which opened in 1869 to serve the village, only to close two years later. The station (Tiffield Halt) was situated at the back of what is now Meadow Rise.

Tiffield was formerly the home of the famous Fossett's Circus, and there were a number of circus animals, including elephants, that had their winter quarters at Upper Farm.

There are sojme interesting documents relating to the history of our village, together with a collection of photos from the 1930's, on the HOTS page of this website.

History of Tiffield Society

The History of Tiffield Society (HOTS) meets on a monthly basis at The George.,

As well as investigating the history of the village and the surrounding area, there are regular visiting speakers who give talks on a wide variety of topics relevant to the history of the surrounding neighbourhood.

More information on the history of our village is available on the HOTS page of this website